Teaching in Australia

Working in Australia

If you want to live and work as a teacher in Australia, we can help.‏

Australia is looking for qualified teachers in various specialisations and across many areas. MSL Solicitors has expertise in assisting Teachers from all over the world to obtain an Australian permanent visa.

We can help you obtain a skilled visa which will permit you to migrate to Australia under the General Skilled Migration program. This would allow you to live and work in Australia on a permanent basis and allows you to take your immediate family with you.

If you are a Teacher and intend to apply under the General Skilled Migration program, you first must obtain a skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation. This is a paper based application which takes into account all your qualifications and work experience in your nominated occupation.


Teaching Jobs in Australia

The following teaching occupations are in high demand as shown by their listing on the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) which means you can apply for a 5 year permanent skilled independent subclass 189 without any State sponsorship or job offer needed due to this genuine skilled shortage in Australia in these occupations:

  • Early Childhood (Pre-Primary School) Teacher
  • Secondary School Teacher
  • Special Needs Teacher
  • Teacher of the Hearing Impaired
  • Teacher of the Sight Impaired


There are a fixed number of places offered each program year (known as the occupational ceiling) see below to see how many places are available in each occupational group as of March 2015.

  • Early Childhood (Pre-Primary School) Teachers – 1335 visas available
  • Secondary School Teachers – 6664 visas available
  • Special Education Teachers – 1032 visas available


The following teaching occupations are in demand however they are listed on the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) which means you can only apply if your occupation is listed on one of the State or Territories State Occupation lists and it needs to be open (available) for you to apply but you will not require a job offer:

  • Primary School Teacher
  • Middle School Teacher (AUS) / Intermediate School Teacher (NZ)
  • University Lecturer (Suitable for the position of Research Associate or Research Fellow in a University)
  • University Tutor
  • Vocational Education Teacher (Non Trades)
  • Vocational Education Teacher (Trades)
  • Education Adviser
  • Education Reviewer
  • Art Teacher (Private Tuition)
  • Dance Teacher (Private Tuition)
  • Drama Teacher (Private Tuition)
  • Music Teacher (Private Tuition)
  • Music Teacher (Private Tuition)
  • Private Tutors and Teachers nec
  • Teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages


Are you a Teacher looking to live in Australia?

Quick Summary & Facts:

  • There are 156,100 secondary school teachers in Australia
  • The average gross salary for a teach is between $75,000-$100,000 P/A
  • The average number of hours a Teacher works each week is 42.9 hours


Frequently asked questions about Teaching in Australia

I have a Bachelor’s degree but it is not related to teaching do I still qualify for a skilled migration visa?
The short answer is yes as long as you have completed a minimum of four years, full time higher education level and one of those years involved completion of an initial teacher education qualification. For example, you may have completed a three year Bachelor of Science degree and a one year Post Graduate Diploma in Education. In the UK most teachers have completed a degree and PGCE and this is recognized, which allows you to apply.

Does all the occupation referred to above require four years higher education study?
No some occupations such as Vocational Education Teacher (Trades & Non Trades) listed above do not require four years of higher education study. Please contact us if you want to check if you fall into this category.

What is an initial teacher education qualification?
This is the qualification required in Australia to teach in an early childhood (pre-primary school), primary or secondary school classroom. To qualify for a skilled visa, the initial teacher education qualification must involve at least one year of full-time study and be specific to the stage of schooling of the nominated occupation. The final academic transcript for the initial teacher qualification must include a program of professional studies in education including supervised teaching practice relevant to the age range of the students for the occupation you have nominated.

Am I required to have completed supervised teaching practice to qualify?
Supervised teaching practice is the compulsory component of an initial teacher education program during which time a student teacher is on a school placement and engaged in the teaching and learning process with school students. This teaching practice is under the supervision of a qualified teacher and university education staff and is formally assessed.

How many days supervised teaching practice am I required to have completed?
The skills assessing authority requires you to have completed a minimum of 45 days of supervised teaching practice with the age range of the students relevant to your nominated occupation is required.